Saturday, August 22, 2009

Maybe my daughter is not "bad"....

Often we are so quick to label a child;whether it is LD,ADD or ADHD, I think we feel better if we can justify to ourselves why we find it hard to teach some children. This speaker was right on several points he made during his speech and at the same time was humerus and able to keep my attention throughout the entire speech. No child is the same;therefore,not every child learns the same or excels in the same areas. So why is it that we put more emphasis on certain subjects over others?
When I was in Elementary School I attended Old Shell Road Performing Arts School. This magnet program included dance,art, drama and music several days a week into the "typical" curriculum. I enjoyed some classes more than others, but it gave me options to find how I learned best and what areas I could excel in.
One of my favorite quotes he made was "If you are not afraid to be wrong,then you will never be original." He followed this up by saying kids are not afraid of being wrong,maybe this is why they are so original and creative. He focused on how important it is for teachers and the education system to not make all children learn in the same way.He believed that creativity=literacy. This is a very interesting way to approach the subject of teaching and child development. For example, everyone will not be a doctor but some will try because they feel as this is the "accepted" path. In some cases maybe the child feels the interest they have will not lead them to success and so in turn they never pursue those goals.
One story he told regarding Gillian Lynn was interesting. In short, she was having trouble in school and the teachers thought she was "bad" and so called a conference with her parents. In the end, the issue was not her behavior, but her interest. They found she was a dancer and they enrolled her in dance classes. She went on to be a famous dancer. This story was relevant to me because I struggle often with my child and some of her actions/behaviors. It is hard to find the ways that she learns best and understands best,especially when it may not be the same ways I learn. This I believe will also be a struggle once I start teaching.Hopefully, future speakers like this one, my struggles with my daughter and my classes will help me learn to recognize each child's individual creativity in the my classroom.


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post Julie! I enjoyed this speaker my self. I would just like to interject that while it is a good idea to look at students as individuals and build on their strengths and prior experiences we must keep in mind that they are still children and a big part of our responsibility as adults, parents, and teachers is to provide constructive guidance while encouraging self reflection and other meta-cognitive skills from an early age. Good work. SS

    ReplyDelete